The Preschool Handicraft + Activity Guide was written and designed for families implementing The Gentle + Classical Preschool (2nd ed) OR for families who want to add some additional literature-themed handicrafts and activities to their day. It was created to take the mental load off of busy homeschooling parents, bring encouragement and joy into your day, and provide additional springboards for diving deeper with more activity suggestions, additional book menus, and a convenient weekly schedule.
If you purchase the Preschool Bundle (in digital or print), this item is already included.
PRE-ORDER DETAILS: Digital ACCESS will be emailed after purchase. PHYSICAL DELIVERY will not ship until on/around July 28, 2021.
No coupon codes are valid on pre-order items. Thank you for understanding. If any orders are processed with a coupon code applied to this pre-order product, that order will be canceled. Thank you!
Who's it for?
Families who are utilizing The Gentle + Classical Preschool (2nd edition) OR who want step-by-step instructions in crafts and activities related to the 26 books we read in Preschool.
Children who are 3+. While you can use this guide with children under 3, the activities were created with a 3+ year-old child in mind. You may need to make further modifications for children who are not yet 3.
This Handicraft + Activity Guide includes 26 units of literature-based activities and additional tools, all inspired by The Gentle + Classical Preschool 2nd edition. This Guide is 200 pages long.
In this Guide, created to extend and support The Gentle + Classical Preschool, you will find the following sections:
- Big Picture: This quick paragraph gives you an overview of all we touch on in one week plus indicates some of the threads that tie each portion of the program together.
- Heart Check: This is a quick section for encouragement, from one mama to another!
- Connect: This is a Q&A style section that gives you ideas for interacting with your child. These questions tie our science, manners/hygiene, story, scripture, and catechism all together. These are just suggestions and may be a little advanced, but they’re provided to help give mom/teacher a little “food for thought” so that these important conversations can happen.
- Your Schedule: This one-page grid gives you a suggested weekly schedule, but can be modified or ignored altogether. There's a blank form in the appendix for creating your own.
- Craft: Each unit includes a “craft.” Sometimes this is a true handicraft. Other times it’s an activity, sensory bin, recipe, or some other way to engage with an idea we’ve encountered in the unit’s book. These have been selected to be meaningful, develop fine-motor skills, and not be "make and toss." These handicrafts and ideas have been curated in a way that minimizes weird or excess supplies. The supply list appears long, but after a few small needle, thread, and felt purchases, you'll find it includes predominantly normal household items.
- Make it Work: This section gives more clarification on our craft/activity, plus offers modifications for older or younger students if needed.
- More Ideas: Want to go further? This quick bulleted list suggests further explorations from the story for your family to implement.
- Read More: This book “menu” offers some further suggested reading to expand on ideas and concepts we’ve encountered in our unit. You can use some, all, or none. This is completely optional.
- Math (or Science): Term 1 includes a little section on expanded explorations for our math concepts. Terms 2 and 3 include some notes on our “All About Me” science topic along with suggested activities.
- Literacy: This is a special section in each unit that gives encouragement, wisdom, or instruction about your young child and literacy.
A special note is that all included recipes are gluten free but can absolutely be modified for baking with your flour of preference.
A few of the handicrafts and activities included in this guide are:
- wet felting
- felt bears
- ice sensory
- boat racing
- snow dough
- pan flute and guitar
- pocket of kisses
- process art
- cookies, muffins, fudge, and fruit salad
- lovie quilt, and more!
Supplies, Sample, Book List
If you plan to use this guide WITH Preschool, you can find the Teacher's Guide 100% free HERE.
Download the Handicraft + Activity Guide Book and Supply List HERE.
Download a sample HERE.
Important Physical Delivery Notes
The Physical Delivery Option does NOT include the digital files unless you choose Physical Delivery + Digital.
When choosing physical delivery, you will receive a full color, wire-o bound book in the mail via the shipping method chosen at checkout.