The Gentle + Classical Preschool 2nd edition was designed with your child's development and natural rhythms in mind. It was created for parents who want to provide structure, focus on character development and faith, and add intention into their child's preschool years.
Who's it for?
This program is for children ages 2, 3, or 4 years. It is a precursor to Gentle + Classical Primer which is a Kindergarten/1st Grade Program. Choose Preschool for your child who is under the age of 5 and for who you are not yet ready to begin Kindergarten. You will find that there is a distinction inside of Preschool for children under 3 and children over 3 so that those age groups can have what's they each need.
The Gentle + Classical Preschool Bundle includes the following items, created to make implementation easy and joyful! PLEASE NOTE THE PHYSICAL DELIVERY SPECIFICATIONS AT THE END OF EACH PRODUCT DESCRIPTION.
- The Gentle + Classical Preschool Teacher's Guide (85 pages of encouragement, philosophy, and the content covered over 26 letter-themed units) Physical delivery: full color, wire-o bound
- Preschool Handicraft + Activity Guide (200 pages of guided, detailed instruction in implementing the 26 units outlined in the Teacher's Guide, including handicraft/activity instructions, expanded book lists, science activities, literacy expectations, and weekly schedules for all 26 units) Physical delivery: full color, wire-o bound
- Preschool Art + Music Pack (40 pages of art instruction guidance, a plan for enjoying Peter and the Wolf, art prints for the 13 artist study units from da Vinci, Matisse, and Van Gogh, and a storyboard for Peter and the Wolf to encourage play narration and engagement) Physical delivery: full color, unbound
- Preschool Morning Binder (114 pages that include daily calendar, weather, and emotional review + ABC, 123, shape, and color practice) Physical delivery: 98 pages, full color, unbound
- Memory Statement Cards (approximately 110 pages of memory statement cards for reciting and displaying our statements from: scripture, character + catechism, manners + hygiene, math, wonder tales + poetry, nursery rhyme, all about me) Physical delivery: full color, heavy satin paper, cut
- ABC + 123 Flashcards (A-Z uppercase and 1-10 vintage-themed flashcards for providing realistic, beautiful illustrations for each letter and number scheduled through the program) Physical delivery: full color, heavy satin paper, cut
- Character Statement Songs: These mp4 and m4a files are found in the dropbox file along with your printables. They can be listened to in Dropbox or downloaded to your device. These are simple tunes to help make practicing each term's virtue enjoyable and memorable.
- Scheduled BOOKS are NOT included in this bundle or with any G+C product or bundle.
- ***DIGITAL ONLY BONUS- these items are NOT PRINTED for the physical delivery bundle: Nature Memory Statement Cards (add additional nature-focused science instruction using these 18 cards along with the book list provided in the free Nature Teacher's Guide which is found free at ShopGentleClassical.com)
- ***DIGITAL ONLY BONUS- these items are NOT PRINTED for the physical delivery bundle: 1-10 Watercolor Number Flashcards + Additional Vintage ABC Flashcards (These two sets give additional options for number recognition and for including upper and lowercase letters in your review)
Teacher's Guide + Books + Sample
The Teacher's Guide to The Gentle + Classical Preschool is completely FREE for PDF download. It's highly suggested that you download and read through it first before making any purchases. You will find a detailed book list included in the Teacher's Guide.
First Edition vs Second Edition
Wondering about the difference between the "old" (1st) edition of Preschool and this new, 2nd edition of Preschool? You can view a chart comparing the contents of the Teacher's Guide and the Bundle HERE. The first edition is no longer available to purchase or download. Those who previously downloaded the 1st edition bundle will continue to have access to their purchase through their original download link. They are also able to request a refresh on that link or a replacement if the link is lost. Thank you!
Important Physical Delivery Notes
Note about the Physical Delivery Preschool Morning Binder: The Preschool Morning Binder in PRINT is only 97 pages long and EXCLUDES the ten-frames and "fish pond" associated with Preschool Math at Home as well as alternative options to the first (name/emotions) page. However, all print orders ALSO RECEIVE the digital download so you can print those optional pages if needed at home.
NO LITERATURE/BOOKS OR MENU COVERS ARE INCLUDED WITH YOUR ORDER.
My son and I are enjoying this curriculum so very much. I have already seen him grow so much. I love the scripture, catechism, character, and manners memory topics. We only sit for about 15 minutes a day to review our memory board, but I am already seeing him implement what we talk about into everything he does. He is more attentive when walking around town, is teaching his little brother to hold his hand when walking, and reciting his memory verse when he is afraid. I was originally attracted to this curriculum because of the attention to detail on character building. I have not been the least bit disappointed. I have even noticed a shift in my mindset on somethings as we talk through our lessons.
I also love that it is a 'menu' of items. We don't have to do every single thing every day or even every week. I put the cards up for myself more than him, since he can't read yet, and we just flow through as much as we want and can each day. There is no pressure to make sure we hit on everything.
We have both really enjoyed the crafts so far. I am really excited about the tea towels coming up in a few weeks! I can't wait to display them in my kitchen!
If anyone is unsure if it is worth the $ to buy the printed version, just do it! The quality of the prints can't be beat. I love having the manuals printed and bound. The only thing that I find a little inconvenient is that I do wish that the teacher guide unit pages were also in the handicraft manual. That way I just had 1 book to look through.
We love G+C Preschool! You definitely get a lot for your money—the quantity and quality of all the flashcards/materials in the print version is excellent. I love how there is so much you CAN do, but no pressure to do ALL of what is included—we can tailor it to our kids now, but I’m excited to add more in as our kids need it. I’m also so thankful for the long term cost effectiveness—with three kids, over the course of 3 years, we’ll get about 5 uses out of it (which means I’m only paying about $30 per use!) 100% worth it!
I also really resonate with Erin’s heart for homeschooling and was so encouraged reading the teacher’s guide—honestly that was biggest sell for me. I felt so seen and like, yeah maybe homeschooling doesn’t have to be so scary! She made me feel excited and equipped about this new season.
First off I want to give credit for the aesthetically pleasing flashcards. That was a selling point to me. I'd like to thank you for the idea of the board and the morning binder. Those were the only thing we benefitted from with this $160 purchase. I honestly could have found those ideas on Pinterest had I looked. Anyhow, let's talk about the Teachers Guide, Unit Instructions. I wish I could post a pic but literally, it outlines in one Unit a Letter to teach, along with which card to post on your board for that "Nursery Rhyme" or "Catechism". Book recommendation, and that sums it up. There are so many better options out there to really delve into teaching preschoolers. I turned to the Good and The Beautiful and could immediately see night and day. The first unit, Point to the Alphabet on the previous page, read to the child there are 26 letters in the alphabet. Have the child repeat, watch a video on the ABC song, encourage to sing along. Read to your child every letter has a sound, those letters make up words, I am so excited to teach you. This is the guidance us mommas need as we are new to this obviously bc we are purchasing "PRESCHOOL" curriculums. Theirs clearly guides you in every step instead of what this product offers. I don't get the point other than pretty art on your pages.... I REALLY REALLY wanted to like this but it is not a fit for our family. I need options for handwriting, learning animals, and pencil grip, not just flashcards....I just feel like there were so many things left out having purchased a different curriculum to see what was offered. There was more emphasis on activity and handcraft book than actual "classroom taught material" This book is actually thicker than the UNIT book to put things into perspective. Not to bash you guys at all, just providing honest feedback/opinions. Thank you for the awesome morning binder material and flashcards. Are we trying to make homeschooling "pretty" or do we want to give our littles EVERYTHING they need to learn and be brilliant? Their little brains soak up so much and need to be challenged. Take care.
We appreciate your honest feedback, Precilla. We're sorry that Preschool wasn't a good fit for your family.
We will state we think that some portions of this review are not complete and therefore unfairly judge our program. Our Handicraft and Activity Guide gives thorough instruction in how to implement every part of this program. Some families only want the cards for recitations and to read the aligned books. Other dive deeply with the full scheduled outlined in the HCAG, including all the hands-on experiences, further reading, discussion topics, and more. Our preschool program does NOT promote particular pencil grips or anything else it looks like you were looking for as we absolutely do not want to promote a 'classroom at home' experience for the preschool years. While programs like TGTB do a thorough job of teaching the alphabet, that's not the goal of The Gentle + Classical Preschool. It's a happy accident that it doesn't tend to turn out that way, but it's not remotely our goal.
We honestly don't really want a pencil in their hands outside of using a marker to do the simple activities in the Preschool Morning Binder. Ultimately, it sounds like we didn't offer what you were looking for which is OK, because maybe what you were looking for isn't what we hoped to create. And if another person looking at Preschool does also want to prioritize academics (like letter recognition) and handwriting and have a scripted lesson plan, then I think your review will be tremendously helpful. But we uphold that the preschool years is about the cultivation of virtue, development of good habits and manners, understanding the nature of God, and experiencing beautiful art and music. There are many years ahead for ABCs and 123s.
To anyone who may read this review: Please know that our teacher's guides are completely free. There are no surprises. Furthermore, our bundle product page gives thorough explanations of all the content included along with numerous images and samples. If you aren't sure if this is a good fit for you, you can find a detailed sample of the first two units on our blog. Email if you want a link!
As a mom of 2 and new to homeschooling, I felt as though this was perfectly laid out for a beginner! Reading the teachers guide and taking a moment to understand why the curriculum was broken down the way it was, was great for me. My daughters were excited to start and we received more than I thought! Would honestly recommend this to everyone wanting to begin homeschooling!
I purchesed several other preschool curriculums before I found G+C. This one had all the components I was looking for. Scripture memorization, Catechism, Manners, Virtues, fun Math games, a morning binder, music, art, everything! I definitely took me a while to find our rhythm with how/when to present everything and I'm sure I'm still not using it to its full potential. The best part is that the ideas presented keep me- the mom, thinking and engaged; if a preschool program can do that (others were sooo boring) I think they are truly presenting living ideas.