Gentle + Classical Sequence 1 has been designed for students ages 6-8 years to explore literature, scripture, catechism, poetry, art, music, history, and geography in a gentle, classical way. Sequence 1 is intended to be used following Gentle + Classical Primer, and it utilizes our existing programs of Morning Virtues and On Mission. However, if you are just finding Gentle + Classical and have a first or second grader, you're in the right place!
BUNDLE NOTE: If you purchase the Sequence 1 bundle, this teacher's guide will already be included (in print or digital, based on your bundle selection). Please do not add this to cart with the bundle.
Who is it for?
This program has been designed to combine the beauty of Morning Virtues with the culture and explorations of On Mission, adapted and scheduled for first and second grade students. Additionally, you'll find an American/European history survey that is simple in implementation but rich in execution. The language portion of the program has been designed to reinforce basic grammar and spelling rules, appropriate for most first and second graders.
Please note that this material works very well with older elementary students as well with the likely exception of the spelling words. You may want to add some additional memory work (like the Preamble for example) and assign the chapter books for independent reading and longer written narrations for older students. Our Student Notebook helps make this a whole-family program.
What's Included? (Scope and Sequence)
You may download this Teacher's Guide in PDF format completely for free using the digital option. In this way, you can see all content, structure, and goals for the program to make sure it's a good fit for your family!
A loose overview of the scope and sequence is as follows:
- Grammar: Nouns, Action Verbs, Pronouns, Punctuation, Types of Sentences, and more
- Spelling: Basic first/second grade spelling rules including r-controlled vowels, add s/es, adding ed/ing, etc; Also includes the Dolch sight words for first grade.
- Geography: The states and capitals of the U.S. plus five U.S. territories and their capitals. (Option to add On Mission for a robust geography, culture, and social studies component.)
- History: Survey of European and American history from 1450-1815 including topics such as early explorers, the Reformation, important scientists, Jamestown, Pilgrims, Transatlantic Slave Trade, Founding Fathers, multiple units on the American Revolution, the Louisiana Purchase, and Lewis and Clark.
- Bible + Theology: Reading of the New Testament alongside catechisms related to sin, the work of the Holy Spirit, prayer, and salvation.
- Artist and composer study as well as virtue, scripture memory, and other beauty topics will be determined by which of the six Morning Virtues issues you choose to use in conjunction with Sequence 1.
I've been homeschooling for 6 years now, and this is the resource that speaks to my soul!! I spent years searching for a guide like this when my older two boys were young. We have worked through the GC Preschool/Primer with my four and five year old and I was on the hunt for what to do next when this was released. It is perfect! Most of the books used are books we already have on our shelves (much the same as the Primer). The sequencing flows fantastically, the schedule is not too rigorous but also doesn't drag. We are already counting down the days to next term so we can dive in. I have read the guide cover to cover and can't wait to see the accompanying resources when they are available. Having used all of the other resources from GC I just know they're going to be great. Gentle Classical has been such a blessing to our family!