Gentle + Classical Sequence 1 has been designed for students first and second grade to explore literature, catechism, history/social studies, geography, grammar, spelling, (and more) in a gentle, classical way.
Who is it for?
Sequence 1 is the Gentle, Classical answer for first and second graders. Sequence 1 includes literature, catechism, history/social studies, geography, grammar, spelling, (and more) in a gentle, classical way. (If you want to include beauty subjects, see the note below.)
Please note that this Student Notebook works very well with older elementary students as well. You may want to add some additional memory work (like the Preamble for example) and assign the chapter books for independent reading and longer written narrations for older students.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If your family intends to include artist/composer study, poetry, hymns, scripture memory, and virtue definitions, please remember that those plans, memory statement cards, and art prints are only included with the Morning Virtues or Morning Classics issues that you select and purchase separately. This Sequence 1 bundle includes the remaining material (geography, language arts, history, catechism, etc. outlined in the section below)
Sequence 1 was designed to deliver an amazing amount of content but also to be utilized alongside Morning Virtues/Classics to offer a robust learning environment for your early elementary students.
In this BUNDLE, you will receive the following items:
- Teacher's Guide- The Sequence 1 Teacher's Guide is the heart and soul of the program. This guide serves as one part educational tool and encouragement and one part material to implement. We sincerely hope you will not skim over this gem and enjoy the encouragement that's included! (Digital Bundle: 118 pages; Physical Delivery Bundle: printed on sturdy stock paper and wire-o bound, full color)
Sequence 1 Student Notebook- The convenient Student Notebook takes the readings and recitations from the teacher's guide and adds practical application and depth. In the "dailies" section, your student will have the opportunity to practice writing their name, take an emotional inventory, assess and notate weather conditions, review days/months along with the full date, place value review, sight word practice, spelling word practice, plus on-going geography review. This section of the notebook should be completed 3-5 days per week. Next, a series of State Notebooking Pages is included. These pages provide an opportunity for your family to dig deeper and learn more about each of the 50 states and 5 territories we cover through the year. Lastly, in the History section, you are provided with a full page of hands-on activities, book suggestions, and a link for multiple videos or blog posts to expand on each unit's topics or provide instruction/material for a suggested activity. Then you have a worksheet, copywork, and a narration notebooking page. Each set of history pages is used over two weeks. (Digital Bundle: 213 pages; Physical Delivery: daily pages are UV coated for use with dry-erase marker so they can be used again and again, tabs separate each section, and the remaining pages are high quality 100lb cover; the entire notebook is wire-o bound.)
Memory Statement Cards- Creating a Memory Statement Board in your home really brings this entire program to life and has been integral in the success of so many families utilizing Gentle + Classical programs. ALL cards related to Sequence 1 are included in this bundle: history, U.S. geography, catechism, and language. (Digital Delivery: 63 pages; Physical Delivery Bundle: printed on 100lb satin cover stock, cut and ready to go) IMPORTANT NOTE: If your family intends to include artist/composer study, poetry, hymns, scripture memory, and virtue definitions, please remember that those particular memory statement cards or art prints are only included with the Morning Virtues/Classics issues that you select and purchase separately. Each issue of Morning Virtues/Classics will come with those prints or cards.
Sight Words and Spelling Deck- This useful quarter-page-sized deck of cards will serve your family in a few ways. The sight word cards are excellent for on-going review. The spelling deck is easy to keep on hand for review and for implementing daily dictation. The spelling deck also serves as examples that reflect each unit's spelling rule. (Digital Bundle: 22 pages; Physical Delivery Bundle: 4.25x5.5" cards on thick, satin paper, black and white)
Header Cards- Each G+C bundle includes a deck of "header cards." These cards are utilized in creating your memory statement board so that it's cohesive and organized. Your stack of header cards will include subjects from Sequence 1 but many additional subjects so that you may use it with other materials and programs. (Digital: 24 pages; Physical Delivery Bundle: printed on satin, heavy cover paper for longevity; not trimmed)
- A very convenient "Getting Started" Checklist to walk you through specific printing and organization of the bundle.
- Scheduled BOOKS are NOT included in this bundle or any other G+C Bundle.
- OPTIONAL ADD-ON: Find the Planning Grids here. This 40-page tool provides a 5-day breakdown for all content in Sequence 1 into 5 separate subjects. It truly makes utilizing Sequence 1 an "open-and-go" experience!
Want Day-by-Day Planning?
We have created a brand new offering for Sequence 1! You can now get all 36 units scheduled out in a 5-day schedule to make implementing Sequence 1 that much easier! Learn more about the grids HERE.
Teacher's Guide + Book List + Scope
The Teacher's Guide to Gentle + Classical Sequence 1 is completely FREE for PDF download. It's highly suggested that you download and read through it first before making any purchases. You will find a detailed book list included in the Teacher's Guide as well as be able to see the full breadth of material covered. We HIGHLY ENCOURAGE you to download and read this guide before making ANY purchase from G+C.
A loose overview of the scope and sequence is as follows:
- Grammar: Nouns, Action Verbs, Pronouns, Punctuation, Types of Sentences, and more
- Spelling: Basic first/second grade spelling rules including r-controlled vowels, add s/es, adding ed/ing, etc; Also includes the Dolch sight words for first grade.
- Geography: The states and capitals of the U.S. plus five U.S. territories and their capitals. (Option to add On Mission for a robust geography, culture, and social studies component.)
- History: Survey of European and American history from 1450-1815 including topics such as early explorers, the Reformation, important scientists, Jamestown, Pilgrims, Transatlantic Slave Trade, Founding Fathers, multiple units on the American Revolution, the Louisiana Purchase, and Lewis and Clark.
- Bible + Theology: Reading of the New Testament alongside catechisms related to sin, the work of the Holy Spirit, prayer, and salvation.
- Artist and composer study as well as virtue, scripture memory, and other beauty topics will be determined by which of the six Morning Virtues issues you choose to use in conjunction with Sequence 1.
What else do I need?
Sequence 1 was created to utilize existing Gentle + Classical materials to the extent that they are appropriate for first and second graders.
First, please read the Teacher's guide to fully understand all that Sequence 1 encompasses and how Morning Virtues and Morning Classics completes it.
Secondly, you'll need six issues of Morning Virtues in order to match the schedule set forth in Sequence 1. You may choose ANY 6 Morning Virtues OR Morning Classics Issues to use alongside Sequence 1.
Adding Morning Virtues or Classics adds in the following subjects:
- artist study
- composer study
- scripture memory
- manners & hygiene
- chapter read-alouds (literature and historical fiction/biography)
- folk song
- handicraft and more.
Find all currently available issues of Morning Virtues/Classis HERE.
Want to subscribe to future issues? Learn more at MorningVirtues.com
SEQUENCE 1 IS NOT A PHONICS OR MATH PROGRAM. THOSE COMPLETE PROGRAMS WILL NEED TO BE ADDED TO YOUR SCHEDULE, BASED ON YOUR PREFERENCES AND YOUR CHILD'S NEEDS.