Celebrate Advent as a family with the Meaningful Advent Menu V2 (2020 Edition)! This beautiful collection features poems, hymns, and songs coming together to form a simple, open and go way to meaningfully connect over the Advent story. Each carefully selected piece speaks the truth of Christmas and tells the story of Christ's birth and points to the crux of the advent season, which is that he was born to die so that we can live.
Who's it for?
Meaningful Menus have been curated and designed to bring beauty into your family's daily gathering time (or morning basket time), with all ages in mind. The poetry, scripture memory, hymns, folk songs, and affirmations are encouraging and instructive to family members ages 2-102.
The Meaningful Advent Menu includes:
- Christmas Countdown (use dry or wet-erase markers to check off in a menu cover)
- Affirmation: The Athanasian Creed
- Christmas Hymn: While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks (this version doesn’t include the last 3 verses but is more traditional. This one is modernized and includes all verses)
- Scripture Memory: Isaiah 9:6, Matthew 2:4-6, Pslam 80:1-3 and Luke 1:30-33
- Christmas Carol: Good King Wenceslas
- Poem: The Eve of Christmas by Alfred Lord Tennyson (we included just the first 3 stanzas, but you can find the whole poem here)
- Christmas Folksong: Bring Your Torches (traditional French folksong, sometimes called Bring the Torch)
YouTube versions of the songs are linked above. YouTube video lyrics may vary slightly from printed lyrics.
This special menu includes all new content you won't find in any of our other Volumes. After the cover page, you'll find a beautiful Christmas Countdown where you and your little ones can check off the days as your excitement builds to Christmas Morning. In the place of our usual Charlotte Mason Affirmation we remember the truths of the Athanasian Creed as we recite it together. Next, enjoy the beautiful Christmas Hymn While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks (the lyrics are beautiful!)
The Scripture Memory section of this menu is unique, as it includes 4 different passages that each tell a different part of the Advent story. We recommend focusing on one selection per week for each of the 4 weeks of advent.
Next you'll find the first of the two included Christmas folksongs. This one is a traditional English carol called Good King Wenceslas, another favorite from my own childhood.
A beautiful poem by Alfred Lord Tennyson called The Eve of Christmas follows.
Finally, you'll find the traditional FRench folksong called Bring Your Torches (sometimes just Bring Your Torch). I couldn’t stop humming this one to myself after listening to the recording!
I hope the Meaningful Advent blesses your family this season.
This is a digital download. Nothing will be shipped.